What are cookies?
Currently we operate an ‘implied consent’ policy which means that we assume you are happy with this usage. If you are not happy, then you should either not use this site, or you should delete Consilience Media cookies having visited the site, or you should browse the site using your browser’s anonymous usage setting (called “Incognito” in Chrome, “InPrivate” for Internet Explorer, “Private Browsing” in Firefox and Safari etc.)
If you do not know what cookies are, or how to control or delete them, then we recommend you visit http://www.aboutcookies.org for detailed guidance.
Who sets the cookies?
The cookies stored on your computer or other device when you access this website are set by Consilience Media, our suppliers who partner with us to help deliver a high quality website , and other third parties.
Some cookies are set by or on behalf of Consilience Media and are necessary to enable users to a make purchases on our website.
Cookies may also be set by third parties.
- Google Analytics – We use this to understand how the site is being used in order to improve the user experience. User data is all anonymous.
- Social buttons – On many of the pages of the site you will see ‘social buttons’. These enable users to share or bookmark the web pages. There are buttons for: Twitter, Google +1, Facebook ‘Like’, LinkedIn ‘Share’. In order to implement these buttons, and connect them to the relevant social networks and external sites, there are scripts from domains outside of Consilience Media. You should be aware that these sites are likely to be collecting information about what you are doing all around the internet, including on Consilience Media’s site. So if you click on any of these buttons, these sites will be registering that action and may use that information. In some cases these sites will be registering the fact that you are visiting Consilience Media, and the specific pages you are on, even if you don’t click on the button if you are logged into their services, like Google and Facebook. You should check the respective policies of each of these sites to see how exactly they use your information and to find out how to opt out, or delete, such information.
- External web services – We use a number of external web services on the Consilience Media site, mostly to display content within our web pages. For example, to display images we sometimes use Flickr; to display slideshows we sometimes use SlideShare; to show videos we use Vimeo and YouTube. This is not an exhaustive or complete list of the services we use, or might use in the future, when embedding content, but these are the most common. As with the social buttons we cannot prevent these sites, or external domains, from collecting information on your usage of this embedded content. If you are not logged in to these external services then they will not know who you are but are likely to gather anonymous usage information e.g. number of views, plays, loads etc.
What are cookies used for?
The main purposes for which cookies are used are:-
- For technical purposes essential to effective operation of website.
- To enable Consilience Media to collect information about the browsing and search habits and activities of users, including to monitor the success of websites, campaigns, competitions etc.
- To enable Consilience Media meet its contractual obligations to make payments to third parties when a product is purchased by someone who has visited our website from a site operated by those parties.
If you want to disable cookies you need to change your website browser settings to reject cookies. How to do this will depend on the browser you use. For further detail on how to disable cookies for the most popular browsers, visit: http://www.aboutcookies.org
What happens if I disable cookies?
This depends on which cookies you disable, but in general the site may not operate properly if cookies are switched off. If you only disable 3rd party cookies you will not be prevented from making purchases on this site.
No financial transactions are run through this website. However, please note that whilst we take appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard the personal data (name, address, email address, phone number) that you provide to us, no transmission over the Internet can ever be guaranteed secure. Consequently, please note that we cannot guarantee the security of any personal data that you transfer over the Internet to us.
If you are using a computer or terminal in a public location, we recommend that you always log out and close the website browser when you complete an online session for your security. In addition we recommend that you take the following security measures to enhance your online safety:
- Keep any account passwords private. Remember, anybody who knows your password may access your account.
- When creating a password, use at least 8 characters. A combination of letters and numbers is best. Do not use dictionary words, your name, email address, or other personal data that can be easily obtained. We also recommend that you frequently change your password.
- Avoid using the same password for multiple online accounts.
We will never ask you to confirm any account or credit card details via email. If you receive an email claiming to be from Consilience Media asking you to do so, please ignore it and do not respond.
You have the following rights:
- the right to ask what personal data that we hold about you at any time, subject to a fee specified by law (currently £10);
- the right to ask us to update and correct any out-of-date or incorrect personal data that we hold about you free of charge; and
- the right to opt out of any marketing communications that we may send you.
If you wish to exercise any of the above rights, please contact us using the contact details specified above. However, if you wish to unsubscribe from e-mail marketing communications that we send you, you can most easily do this by clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any e-mail newsletter we have sent to.
Third party sites
Updates to this policy
If you have any questions please contact us.